Check out the most exciting activities and fun things to do in Switzerland for a perfect adventure holiday.
Switzerland is an incredible place to plan an adventure holiday.
Whether you are into paragliding, hiking or climbing there are many thrilling activities and fun things to do during a summer vacation in Switzerland.
While I’m not the most adrenaline-seeking person out there, I have definitely enjoyed (most of) these Swiss adventures and I’m sure you will too.
Best Adventure Activities To Try In Switzerland
These are some of the most fun and thrilling activities you absolutely NEED to try during your summer holiday in Switzerland:
1. Murren Via Ferrata
A Via Ferrata is a must-do activity for any mountain climbing enthusiast.
In case you are not familiar with the term, a via Ferrata is a protected climbing route created on the mountain or along its cliffs. You are secured for the entire way by steel cables (so it’s safe) and you advance by stepping on metal fixtures, ladders, or hanging bridges.
This activity is definitely NOT for the faint-hearted or those suffering from a fear of heights. (yep, that’s me).
Yet, it is an incredibly fun and thrilling adventure (according to Marius 🙂 ), so if you are up for it, you will not regret it.
He completed his first ever via Ferrata in Murren this August and is now totally hooked. I foresee a lot more of these sorts of activities in our future trips to Switzerland haha.
Murren Via Ferrata Facts:
- Length: 2,2 km
- Difficulty: K3
- Ticket price: 150 CHF including guide & safety equipment
- Open: June-October
- Book your ticket and find out more here.
2. Schilthorn Thrill Walk
Ok, this adventure is more accessible to the rest of us mortals who’d like a bit of adrenaline but are not really up for hanging on a cliff of a mountain.
However, it is kind of what you will be doing here too, but it feels a lot more doable. 🙂
The Thrill Walk at Birg (Schilthorn) is such an incredible adventure and one of the best activities to do in Switzerland! The views are simply breathtaking.
Birg is the first cable car stop on the way to Schilthorn, at 2.677m above sea level and 1.000m up from Mürren.
The Thrill Walk is a 200 m-long steel structure that takes you around the mountain, literally hanging by the side of the cliff.
And if that alone is not enough to spike your adrenaline, there are many FUN things to do along the way: walking on a 7m long glass floor, a Nepalstyle rope bridge, or in a crawl tunnel.
It’s free of charge and you’ll find the starting point on the right side of the restaurant.
3. Grindelwald First Adventures
If you are looking for some fun and adrenaline-boosting activities in Switzerland, then Grindelwald FIRST is another great one to consider! They have a zip line, a glide line, and a cliff walk.
To reach it, you need to take the cable car from Grindelwald, just 5 minutes away from the train station. It is very clearly marked, so you can’t miss it. The ride all the way up takes about 20 min, and the views are stunning.
Here are some of the great adventures at Grindelwald FIRST:
- FIRST Cliff Walk (sponsored by the famous Swiss watch brand Tissot) is a short but fun walk along the side of the mountain on a suspended metal structure. It ends in a very Instagramabale spot, opening to the impressive Grindelwald valley and Swiss Alps. Arrive early morning if you want to avoid long lines for that magical selfie. The walk is nice but not nearly as impressive as the one in Schilthorn.
- FIRST Flyer: you’ll be flying along an 800 m long steel cable reaching speeds of 84km/h. It’s super fun and exciting.
- FIRST Glider: Experience what it’s like to fly like a bird in the Swiss Alps! With this glider, you’ll be flying along 3 other “passengers” on a metal eagle structure. First, you are pulled backward at a 72 km/h speed. On the way back you and your eagle will really take off toward the mountains at an even higher speed.
READ NEXT: 9 Amazing Things To Do in Grindelwald
4. Helicopter Ride in Zermatt
What can be more exciting than getting high up in the mountains, so close to the majestic Matterhorn that you feel you can almost touch it?!
A breathtaking helicopter experience will give you just that.
To me, this is one of the most exciting activities you can do in Switzerland, and it’s not just around the Matterhorn. You can also fly around the Aletsch Glacier or have a trip to the Jungfraujoch.
Seeing those incredible 4.000m high mountains from above is an experience that you will treasure for a lifetime.
I will never forget our amazing helicopter ride above the Grand Canyon in the US so I know for sure this kind of activity is 1000000% worth it.
PRICE: 220 CHF – 20 minutes, 320 CHF – 30 minutes
READ NEXT: Epic Things To Do In Zermatt
5. Ride the Train with Your Car in Switzerland
Yep, you read that right. 🙂
You can ride a train in Switzerland while sitting in your car. It doesn’t get more exciting than this haha!
Let me explain how this works. The fastest way to travel from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen is via a tunnel inside a mountain which can only be accessible by train. Think of it as a “ferry”.
You will park your car inside the wagon and sit inside it during the 20-minute ride through the mountain.
I definitely do not recommend it if you are claustrophobic. It is pretty dark during the entire ride and the air isn’t that great under the mountain.
PRO TIP: keep your car windows shut.
However, if you are able to do it, it is SUCH a cool and unique experience in Switzerland that I just HAD to include it on this list.
6. Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe Adventures
Visiting Jungfraujoch (also known as the Top of Europe) is some of the best things to do in Switzerland but it’s also one of the most expensive activities.
If you have the time and budget, I think you should definitely go for it!
Here are some of the fun activities to do at Jungfraujoch, Switzerland:
- go up the panoramic viewpoint and admire natures stunning beauty
- hike on the glacier
- take a selfie with the Swiss flag with the famous Jungfrau peak behind you
- slide on the ice tunnel and say hi to the Ice Age squirrel 😉
- immerse yourself in an exciting Lindt Chocolate experience
- learn about the history and construction of the highest train station in the Alps
JUNGFRAUJOCH – TOP OF EUROPE
PRICE: 220 CHFBOOK TICKETS HERE.
7. Epic Hikes in The Swiss Alps
Last but definitely not least of the amazing activities you can do in Switzerland is hiking.
Switzerland is a true hiking paradise with incredible trails and breathtaking views, suitable for all levels.
Some of my favorite places to hike are Zermatt, Murren (Lauterbrunnen), and Grindelwald.
I’ve dedicated special posts to all of these (they are THAT good) so check them out for everything you need to know about hiking these gorgeous regions of Switzerland.
GET SOME HIKING INSPIRATION:
7 Best Hikes in Zermatt
5 Best Hikes in Grindelwald
3 Amazing Hikes in Lauterbrunnen
Fun Activities in Switzerland
I hope you’ve enjoyed my ideas for fun and thrilling activities in Switzerland and that you’ll give some of them a try! I’d definitely love to hear from you if you do! Also if you have other suggestions to add to this list. Just drop them in the comments.
Happy travels! 🙂