This post is all about discovering the majestic Schilthorn in Switzerland. You will learn how to spend 2 perfect days in the Jungfrau Region of Switzerland and the best things to do in beautiful Schilthorn and Mürren. The only travel guide you will ever need!
For any mountain lover, Schilthorn is a “MUST-SEE before you die” kinda place!
The Jungfrau Region of Switzerland, out of which Schilthorn and Mürren are part, is one of the most beautiful places you will ever travel to! Not only in Europe but, dare I say, in the whole world.
I believe it definitely deserves a top spot on your travel bucket list, but hey, don’t take my word for it, check out these breathtaking views below.
Besides the beautiful mountain views, hikes, and thrilling adventures (which we will get to in a minute), there is an extra incentive for all you Jame Bond fans out there. Schilthorn peak (Piz-Gloria) is one of the locations of the famous 1969 movie “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”. And the Swiss sure know how to make the most of it. More on that later too. 😉
But first things first:
Schilthorn Switzerland: Quick Facts
Schilthorn is a mountain peak in the Swiss Alps and one of the best spots in Europe for breathtaking 360 panoramic views of 4.000m / 13.000 peaks around.
It is located at 2.970m above sea level, in the Lauterbrunnen region in Switzerland, close to Interlaken.
How To Get To Schilthorn
The best way to reach the Schithorn Piz Gloria mountain top is by taking the cable car from Mürren.
Mürren is a cute, little Swiss village, and to reach it, you first need to take a cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grütscalp and then hop on the mountain train shuttle to Mürren. This is one of the most picturesque train rides I’ve ever seen, so it’s definitely worth it!
The cable car & train ride from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren costs 11CHF per person (one way) and it takes approximately 30 minutes.
Ticket price: 86 CHF return/ person from Mürren.
What To Do In Schilthorn
- Take in the spectacular 360 panoramic views of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau peaks and other 200 mountain tops all around.
- Have lunch at the first revolving restaurant in the world – Piz Gloria. Don’t forget to make a reservation upfront, it’s a very popular place.
- Explore Bond World 007 for lots of exciting details about the 1969 movie and take the walk of fame right outside. And definitely make sure to check out the toilets, they are quite something. 😉
- Hike from Birg to Schilthron, if you are in a super duper shape and an experienced hiker. Through the cable car’s window, it looked like a pretty difficult one, so better do your research upfront.
- Step on the clouds – go on the Birg Thrill Walk!
THE BIRG THRILL WALK
I’ve saved the best one for last! Going on the Birg Thrill Walk is such an incredible adventure and the views are breathtaking all the way!!
Birg is a cable car stop on the way to Schilthorn, at 2.677m above sea level and 1.000m up from Mürren.
It’s the perfect spot for a cup of tea or lunch as you’ll find a great restaurant up here (so don’t worry if you didn’t find a spot at Piz Gloria).
But the best thing to do in Birg is to take the Thrill Walk. This is a 200m long steel structure that takes you around the mountain, literally hanging on the cliff. And if that alone is not enough to spike your adrenaline, there are many FUN STUFF along the way: a 7m long glass floor, a Nepalstyle rope bridge, and a crawl tunnel.
It’s free of charge and you’ll find the starting point on the right side of the restaurant.
If you are *really* scared of heights, better skip this one though. I was definitely walking closer to the mountain wall, as it can get pretty scary looking down but everything is perfectly safe. The part that I found most frightening was going down the stairs because you can see through them all the way down.
Honestly, we actually liked spending time in Birg more than Schilthorn. You feel closer to the mountains and it’s not as cold as on the top. Which reminds me, make sure to wear warm clothes. You’ll get close to 3.000 m / 10.000 feet high so be prepared with layers – a windproof jacket, fleece, and a t-shirt. And don’t forget the sunscreen and a hat. The sun shines brighter up there.
READ NEXT: 10+ Best Hikes To Do in Switzerland
Where To Stay If You Want To Visit Schilthorn
For spending a few magical days in the Swiss mountains, and being very close to Schilthorn, I would definitely recommend staying in Mürren.
It’s a quiet little village, just above Lauterbrunnen (at 1.650m) that offers spectacular views of the 3 main peaks Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau.
Same as Zermatt, it is also car-free, so the best way to get to Mürren is to leave your car at the Lauterbrunnen parking and take the cable car + train from there. You will find them right at the exit of the parking lot.
The last departure is before 9 pm.
Parking costs: we paid 30 CHF for 41 hours
In case you would like to visit Schilthorn but not necessarily stay in Mürren, Wengen and Lauterbrunnen are great options as well. We loved it because it was the closest and because of the views, of course.
Where To Stay in Mürren
As generally in Switzerland, staying in Mürren is amazing but it’s definitely not cheap. I can say that it is ABSOLUTELY worth it though.
There is nothing like waking up every morning to those spectacular peaks and the fresh mountain air.
Here are some of the best hotels to consider:
MID-RANGE: Eiger Guesthouse: this is where we stayed and definitely recommend it, whether you are traveling as a couple or a bigger family. It’s a cute and cozy chalet, right across the street from the Mürren train station, so the location is perfect. It has a great restaurant (definitely try the raclette), a bar, and a game room. The hosts are extremely friendly and always happy to tell you all about the village and all the great things you can do here. We’ve particularly LOVED the view from our room on the top floor. To me, the Geiger Guesthouse has one of the best views in Mürren.
LUXURY: Hotel Eiger: if you’re looking for a luxury stay and a bit of pampering, then definitely try Hotel Eiger. This 4 stars hotel is located right next to the Eiger Guesthouse and offers incredible views of the mountains. You’ll also be able to enjoy an amazing spa with an indoor pool (which is perfect as you cannot really count on the weather up in the mountains). The perfect stay for a relaxing and pampered trip in the Swiss Alps.
7 Best Things To Do In Mürren
There are lots of great things to do in this beautiful mountain resort, regardless of the season. Since we visited at the end of July, here are some of the best summer activities:
- Walk around the streets to discover this charming village and take in the gorgeous views of the Alps
- Go on the via Ferrata – plenty of adrenaline-boosting activities in the region. We haven’t done this one (I am not THAT brave), but you can find out everything you need to know HERE.
- Hike down to Gimmelwald – this is an easy and accessible 2km hike, which takes about 30-45 minutes.
- Have lunch at the Edelweiss restaurant or just enjoy a glass of wine at their terrace for the most breathtaking views of the mountains and the valley.
- Try paragliding! If this is something you’ve always wanted to try, the Mürren is definitely the perfect place – what can be better than flying around these gorgeous mountains?! Find out more HERE.
- Play tennis at one of the most beautiful tennis courts in the world!
- Try the famous Swiss raclette (traditional dish) at Eiger Guest House – it’s delicious and great value for money (17 CHF) and the local wine Fendant.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this travel guide to Schilthorn and Mürren! Don’t forget to pin it for later! 😉
If you are interested in Switzerland as a travel destination, I am sure you will absolutely love to discover ZERMATT as well. Have a look here at some of the Best Things To Do In Summer In Zermatt or at the 21 Unique Places to visit in Switzerland.
Leave a Reply